Kathleen Guilfoyle focuses her practice on aviation defense, products liability in the automotive and commercial trucking industries, and environmental litigation.
Kathy Guilfoyle represents several airlines, airport authorities and ground handling companies in cases pending throughout the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. This litigation includes the defense of claims involving personal injury, premises liability, the Air Carrier Access Act, discrimination and general commercial litigation. Currently, she and her firm represent one of the non-carrier airlines in the litigation pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York arising out of the terrorist attacks of September 11th. In this litigation, she also worked on responding to requests for information from the Kean Commission, and participated in non-public witness interviews of various airline personnel by Kean Commission staffers. Kathy was a presenter at the first ACI Aviation Conference in Boston.
In addition to those in the automotive and commercial trucking industries, Kathy has handled a variety of cases involving such diverse products as printing presses, heaters, toys, food and medication. She has also handled the defense of various environmental claims for fuel suppliers involving 21E claims, releases, propane tank explosions and faulty regulators.
Kathy was recently selected as a Top Woman of Law for 2011 by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly. She was elected a National Director of the Defense Research Institute at the Annual Meeting in October 2012 and will serve a three-year term. In 2013 Kathy was named Who's Who Legal International Who's Who of Aviation Lawyers.
She resides in Needham, Massachusetts, with her husband and their three children.
Publications & Presentations
- Evidentiary Requirements for the Admission of Enhanced Digital Photographs, published in the IADC Newsletter, October, 2002
- Proving Medical Causation in Product Liability Cases, AALNC 2010 National Educational Conference, American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants, Pittsburgh, PA, 2010
- Aviation Insurance for the General Practitioner: Demystifying the Types of Coverage, presented at the ACI Aviation Conference in Boston, June 23 - 23, 2009
- Legal Issues for Fixed Base Operators, Independent Fixed Base Operators Association Regional Aviation Trade Show, Hyannis, Massachusetts, 2008
- Tips for Effective Mediation, Women Drive Results in Transportation, National Program, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association, Dearborn, Michigan, 2008
- The September 11th Litigation after the Closure of the VCF and the Issuance of the Kean Commission Report: What's Left and What's Next?, 16th Annual IAWA Conference, San Francisco, California, 2004
- Compensating the Victims and Preventing the Collapse of the Aviation Industry: The Aftermath of September 11th, 15th Annual IAWA Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, 2003
- Alleged Improper Handling of In-Flight Medical Emergencies: A Cognizable Claim Under the Warsaw Convention?, Co-Author, International Association of Defense Counsel, Aviation and Space Law Committee Newsletter, No.1., 2002
- Asserting Claims for Sexual Assault Under the Warsaw Convention, Co-Author, International Association of Defense Counsel, Aviation and Space Law Committee Newsletter, No. 10., 2000
- Be a Parent, Not a Pal, Social Host Liability Presentations - ongoing
- Practicing in the District Court, Massachusetts Bar Association - ongoing
Memberships & Leadership Positions
International Aviation Women's Association (IAWA)
- Vice President, Annual Conference, 2009 - present
- Treasurer, 2007 - 2009
Defense Research Institute
- National Director, 2013 -
- Membership Committee, 2008 - present
- Jury Service Task Force, 2008 - 2010
- Chair, Lawyers Professionalism and Ethics Committee, 2005 - 2007
- Vice Chair, Lawyers Professionalism and Ethics Committee, 2003-2005
The Harmonie Group
- Vice Chair, Aviation Practice Committee, 2009 - present
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Voted a Top Woman in Law by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer, 2006